pinkdiamond: (Default)
[personal profile] pinkdiamond

I was very worried as my latex thickener took a while to arrive and my molds wound up soaking too long. But it’s all good 🙂 But the latex I had was certainly bad. Not so bad that it couldn’t be rescued but rescuing requires a lot of work 🙂



Thickener and coloidal silica 🙂 I probably should have grabbed microballoons, explained later 🙂



I used up as much of my latex as I could- two bottles of thickener will turn 2.5L of latex into a very thick consistancy, but it does still run, not immediately but over a few hours.


What have I done here you may ask. Well here is the answer 🙂


Self supporting latex


In order to have self supporting horns but an adjustable thickness tentacle latex layer I first lay up a thick layer of the thickened latex (for this also with some added silica to limit warping) then  a layer of peeled foam in 5mm or 10mm thicknesses soaked in a latex and water mix. I push the foam into the latex just enough to adhere but leave a layer of just latex to create a skin to the foam.


This is tricky! If the environment is too warm the latex well turn tacky while working with it causing deformities. This has been my fifth run and it’s the first time this hasn’t happened because it was much cooler yesterday than any other day this summer.


The peeled foam is very soft, very soft and not at all self supporting alone. In fact its use is to pad and create a soft layer.


But once soaked in latex and left to cure it becomes fairly rigid. The cells become rigid but the air pockets remain.


The foam also tends to not pull away from the walls of the mold while the latex is curing. This makes it much easier to be able to control warping of large pieces like this. It also reduces weight and can be stitched then glued/latexed to hide the join. It is also possible to pare back the foam with a knife to thin it out for the tentacles.


This is sort of a reverse industry standard method of skinning foam for creature effects. Having a mold means I control the skin texture a lot more but means working a bit blind in terms of being able to know exactly how thick that skin is.


This standard method is how I make my lekku in general. And as I work to finish this piece I’ll be able to share tips on how to do that- it still requires skill to avoid limiting stretch of the foam and adding  weight! I also want to update my Rachi Lekku and Talon lekku 🙂

Date: 2017-03-08 11:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mutive.livejournal.com
As always, it is looking amazing! ({I can't wait to see it when it's finished. Of course, I always feel that way. But then it never ceases to be true!)

Date: 2017-03-10 08:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pinkdiamond.livejournal.com
I think I may just keep working with it as a test and then get some more product later to make a really good piece.

Though today is possibly a good day to work on all the leather stuff as now I also have Leia boots to pull apart and stitch down nicely.

Fan heater sans heating element might work.

Date: 2017-03-12 08:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mutive.livejournal.com
Nice! I am always amazed by your perfectionism. :)

And ugh for re-stitching leather. I swear, even with the correct needles, it always seems to hurt my fingers.

Date: 2017-03-09 05:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] clothsprogs.livejournal.com
Fascinating - I would never have the patience for this sort of work but it's fascinating to see the details.

Teddy

Date: 2017-03-10 07:59 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pinkdiamond.livejournal.com
It's something that is infinitely easier with correct equipment- and a splash zone, and unending supplies ;)

I think what really connects this with fibreglassing and separates this from other prop and costuming skills is how sticky it is, and dependent on local environment for so long and the fight against gravity.

I want to share more, though it does show how often I forget how messy this is and forget to lay down plastic ;) My sek would also collapse under the weight of these so they have to stay on the floor :) Though a TV trolly of yore might be able to convetered again :)

Date: 2017-03-11 07:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] clothsprogs.livejournal.com
Sounds like you need to look out for an old TV trolly or something - if nothing else to bring projhects like this up to an easier-to-access height.

All that bending and crouching while working on it can't be good for you

Teddy

Date: 2017-03-10 01:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] redthreaded.livejournal.com
This is fascinating. I find latex/casting/molding completely intimidating.

Date: 2017-03-10 08:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pinkdiamond.livejournal.com
It's messy. And of course you can have all that work ruined while you don't watch.

It's... different. I think mainly because of how much of the product used changes physical states. Also even though I sculpted in rigid clay on my rigid headform, it would have to be cast in foam latex to sit and fit even closely :) I might use some expanding foam in the form to help. Yeah.

Also two days later and it's still only half cured thanks to a cold and wet spell. Might be able to get the fan heater out.

Profile

pinkdiamond: (Default)
pinkdiamond

April 2017

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 45678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 25th, 2017 04:31 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios